adding local directories via regain interface in browser

Suggestions, questions oder problems with regain

Moderator: thtesche

adding local directories via regain interface in browser

Postby jens » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:46 am

Hi all,

a friend showed regain to me, and I think it can be very usefull for me. It is really helpfull. I want to use it for searching some directories on a disc on my local machine, just reports, data analyses, and things like this.

However I need to understand the regain-behavior a little bit better, especially what is the best / safest / mosrt robust and reliable way to control regain.

Here are the details to my installation:
a) Operating System: Window 7 (64Bit)
b) Java-Version: 1.6.0_18
c) Regain Version: Desktop 2.0.4 (2.0.4 Stable/regain_v2.0.4-STABLE_desktop_win.exe)

Question 1 (Main-Question):
========================
The Problem I have is to understand:
How to add directories to the list of searched directories, i.e. how to do this correctly? Regain does not behave as I would expect it to behave...
1.) I tried to add a directory_1 [see below for name] to the list of searched dirs. This works fine. the directory appears two times in the file CrawlerConfiguration.xml. Also the searching is succesfull.
2.) Then I try to add a directory_2 to the list of searched dirs. The name of the new directory is added two times in the file CrawlerConfiguration.xml, it is added in <startlist> and <whitelist>. However, the number of documents added to the index is not increased, and the search for documents in directory_2 is not successfull. This is unexpected for me.
3.) However, now the real strange thing: If I
(a) remove the searchindex and clean up the CrawlerConfiguration.xml
(b) add the directory_2 as the first directory to the list of searched dirs, and
(c) add then add directory_1 as the second directory to the list of searched dirs
everything works as I would expect it. This means in step 3c regain really adds documents to the list of searched docs and a later search is successful.
How can this be explained????
The names of the directories are:
directory_1 = c:/js/diary/WORK_test
directory_2 = c:/js/diary/WORK_test2

Question 2 :
========================
Is there any advanced method for controlling regain, I mean a method alternative to the regain-interface via browser? If yes, where can I find a good set of most-frequently used commands for a beginner?

Many thanks for any good advice. Let me know if you need any more detail.
Regards,
Jens
jens

Re: adding local directories via regain interface in browser

Postby MStepan » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:50 pm

Did you ever get an answer to this? I'm having similar (if not identical) issues ... Thanks!
MStepan

Re: adding local directories via regain interface in browser

Postby alopez » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:45 pm

Question 1

Que tal,
El problema es el siguiente:

Estas buscando c:/js/diary/WORK_test y no existe.

El directorio root de la aplicacion es searchindex.

Si quieres que lea una carpeta, seria: searchindex/carpeta

Si tienes intalado el searchindex en c:\\archivos de programas\regain\ entonces la carpeta debe estar en:

c:\\archivos de programas\regain\searchindex

Este parametro se configura en el conf del crawler:

<dir>searchindex</dir>

No en donde tu quieras. El crawler usa un jar que busca esta variable.

Question 2:

Armate un .bat asi para crear los indices:

@echo off
SET INSTALLDIR=%cd%\
"%INSTALLDIR%j2sdk\jre\bin\java.exe" -jar regain-crawler.jar
pause

Podes usar un tomcat y hacerlo servicio de windows, asi lo iniciar y detenes mas sencillamente.

Podes crear varios search xml para cada carpeta asi tenes segmentados los indices.

No existe una interface mejor. Es un roducto chico.
Trata sino Oracle Search Enterprice que es mas solido.

Saludos!
alopez

Return to regain