search results order by 'most recent' first

Suggestions, questions oder problems with regain

Moderator: thtesche

search results order by 'most recent' first

Postby jim95014 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:39 pm

I want to configure 'regain' to list its search results in order of file modification date. This is usually the most useful order for me since I am usually looking for a file that I have recently worked on but have placed in any of a few dozen common directories for new work (or worse yet, in a directory that I seldom visit).
The open-source nature of 'regain' and its sophisticated design which I perceive when I browse the description of its features makes me believe that there must be ways to configure the results display.
I would also like to be able to increase the number of results listed per page...
Oh yes, while I am asking, I would also like to see a link the ability to open the folder/directory where each file is discovered. I am pleased to see that 'regain' lists the folder for each file, but a link to open that folder would be very useful!
BACKGROUND: I am new to 'regain', having finally lost access to Google Desktop Search on a recent Windows 7 update. I have looked at many, many search engines out there and 'regain' looks to be the most promising! However 'Relevanz' is the only option for displaying search results on my search page. While I suspect I will eventually be able to refine searches, once I figure out how the 'Lucene Search Syntax' can be applied, so that I don't get hundreds of hits, I am usually looking for a very recent created or modified file, and trying various complex search strings is not a very efficient way to get to my target.
For my style of computing, losing GDS is a major setback, but 'regain' looks very encouraging! Maybe I should dive in and write some Java to enhance 'regain' for my needs, but that would be a larger investment, and it would be silly if the features are already there but I am just not finding them.
jim95014

Re: search results order by 'most recent' first

Postby jim95014 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:06 pm

Good news... I chased down a few forum replies that led me to look for configuration files in the directory where 'regain' was installed. Nicely organized! I saved a copy of the original SearchConfiguration.xml and then put 'last modified date asc' as the first 'sortEntry' in the list. No effect, but then I also put 'Dokumentendatum absteigend' first in the Deutsch listing or 'sortResults' (and while I was at it, I also made similar changes in the same filename in the .../conf/default directory. It worked! Alas my interface is in German still, but I imagine I can switch that too!=)
Any quick answer for me as to which SearchConfiguration.xml file is active? Also, did I need to restart 'regain' to get it to read that file, or does it read it each time a new search is performed?
WOW! Thank you. Already I am relieved from my recent loss of GDS!!!
jim95014

Return to regain