Use PortableApps Java Virtual Machine

Suggestions, questions oder problems with regain

Moderator: thtesche

Use PortableApps Java Virtual Machine

Postby Marc » Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:03 am

Hello! Would it be possible to specify the path of a java virtual machine such that Java doesn't need to be installed (wich is a security risk).
Examples of applications that can be run with Java Portable are RSSOwl and Vuze...
portableapps[dot]com/apps/utilities/java_portable
Kind Regards,
Marc
Marc

Re: Use PortableApps Java Virtual Machine

Postby regain_hope » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:18 pm

I successfully got Regain working with java_portable (ie, jPortable).

First I downloaded the Regain portable zip file from the download page. I unpacked it to PortableApps normal location for apps.
I used PortableApps menu to install both java_portable AND java_portable_launcher (ie, jPortable Launcher) to their default destinations.
jportable 'installs' to PortableApps/CommonFiles/java (or java64)
jportable launcher 'installs' to PortableApps/jPortable Launcher

Make sure the directories are in the proper location, and relative position to each other, or it won't work.

I was using a portable Palemoon (firefox fork) browser, and I used RegisterFP (ie, Register Firefox Portable) to make it the default browser temporarily. I'm not sure this helped, but you can easily undo the changes through the app RegisterFP.

First, I tried to create a shortcut (ie, .lnk file) to jPortable Launcher and pass the argument for it to launch Regain... but it kept returning an error that java_portable couldn't be found... and thus fails.

Second, I tried using the PortableApps menu interface and selecting jPortable Launcher... which gave a dialog box asking what .jar file to launch. Though I fed it Regain's jar file, nothing happened, no errors... nothing. Just failed to launch.

Third, I opened two explorer panes, and dragged the regain.jar file onto the JavaPortableLauncher.exe file... and voilà!

Sorta. Regain loaded (and was found hidden in the system-tray)... but it gave an error that localhost[colon]8020/welcome.jsp' could not be found.
So I pasted that localhost address into my portable browser. The localhost page loaded and I was able to set preferences, index some files, and start searching!

I then added a keyword for the search bar and now I can search from Firefox's universal address bar or search bar (no longer having to open up a tab to start a search).

PS - I do not have Java installed on my machine, so this setup is definitely working with java_portable and jPortableLauncher.

PS - see forum article "Regain on USB key/drive (bundling JVM)?" which gives an older method of making Regain work with java_portable... but I think that is now thankfully obsolete.

PS - also see: forum article "One trick to running regain from a USB drive" for tips on how to install and use Regain on a USB thrumb-drive.
regain_hope

Postby regain_hope » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:27 pm

Also I was wondering:

1) Can we at PortableApps (dot) com have permission to try and make a .paf comatible portable version of Regain?

2) my regain.zip portable didn't have an .exe file, just a .jar file... would it be preferable to try use the zip version... or instead portable-ize the windows installer version instead (as it contains an .exe file... and would obviate the need I think for using jPortable Launcher)?

Thanks for making this program... I love it.

PS - I'll post some (simple) feature suggestions later if you'd like! :)
regain_hope

Postby regain_hope » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:17 am

Just wishing to clarify a bit:

I successfully got Regain working with java_portable (ie, jPortable).

First I downloaded the Regain portable zip file from the download page. I unpacked it to PortableApps normal location for apps.
I used PortableApps menu to install both java_portable AND java_portable_launcher (ie, jPortable Launcher) to their default destinations.
jportable 'installs' to PortableApps/CommonFiles/java (or java64)
jportable launcher 'installs' to PortableApps/jPortable Launcher

Make sure the directories are in the proper location, and relative position to each other, or it won't work.

First I downloaded the Regain portable ZIP file from the download page. I unpacked it to PortableApps normal location for apps.
- - - PortableApps/Regain
- - - jportable 'installs' to: - PortableApps/CommonFiles/java (or java64)
- - - jportable launcher 'installs' to: - PortableApps/jPortable Launcher

Make sure the directories are in THESE locations... or things won't work.
jPortable Launcher seems really sensitive to things being in custom locations. Set it this way first... ensure that it works... THEN you can try to fiddle with custom locations.

TIP: You CAN create a 'Hard Link' (NOT quite the same as a 'Symbolic Link') of the JavaPortableLauncher.exe and place it in the Regain folder for easier drag&drop convenience.

Complaints: This program behaves abnormally with jPortableLauncher... it's the only program I know of that won't work via the "open dialog" for jPortableLauncher... nor does it seem to work by providing a path to the command-line argument for a shortcut to jPortableLauncher.

Complaints: This probably isn't Regain's fault... (though maybe somewhat)... one can't even symbolically link to the Regain directory... and drag&drop from the symbolic directory. [This seems to indicate how sensitive jPortableLauncher combined with Regain is to having things in the proper LOCATION.

If anyone can give any tips streamlining this process (so we aren't forced to drag&drop to start Regain in this ultra-portable manner), please Share!!!

Since I know so little of coding and such, I'm gonna look for an AHK or AutoIt method to automate/simulate the drag&drop process.
regain_hope

Postby regain_hope » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:56 am

Some updates on conveniently opening the regain.jar file in a portable manner.

You can use eXpresso v1.3.1 to open regain.jar after having set the appropriate settings in eXpresso.
Just double click the regain.jar file and voilà!

I tried to launch it in the same portable-association manner using the DropIt program, but it wouldn't work.
You COULD set up permanent file-associations in Windows (for .jar files) to open with JavaPortableLauncher... but that isn't really portable.
In a pinch, you could right-click on regain.jar and choose 'open'. Then navigate and select JavaPortableLauncher.exe -- but that isn't so quick, and it does leave a slight trace in the registry.

Again, I'm still open to looking for better methods (though this works pretty well for me)... and hopefully some feedback if PortableApps website can get permisssion to make a .PAF compatible portable-version (or launcher).

Hope this helps everyone... sorry I wasn't able to figure out how to unzip to a more custom directory location, but I think this is pretty decent progress. Enjoy!
regain_hope

Postby regain_hope » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:58 am

PS - As there is the ability to ctrl-c COPY regain.jar and then select the JavaPortableLauncher.exe [or a hard-link to same] and then ctrl-V PASTE regain.jar ONTO the selected Launcher... you could probably automate this fairly simply in AHK or AutoIt if you didn't want to use espresso or such.
regain_hope

Return to regain